Coda File System

Re: big UpdateClntLog

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:59:49 -0500
On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 08:23:56AM +0100, Florian Schaefer wrote:
> I just found out, that my UpdateClntLog currently has a size of 34MB (the
> first ntry is dated 10/25/2001). It has become that big, as I get tons of
> the following errors:
>
> 08:20:37 Fetch failed for 'db/auth2.tk.BAK' with No such file or directory
> 08:20:37 Fetch failed for 'db/dumplist' with No such file or directory
>
> In numbers: I have 487093 of those lines.
>
> I'm running a coda server 5.3.17. What has gone wrong here? Those files
> really don't exist. Can I just touch them, or do they need to have a
> special content?

Ah, both of these are listed in /vice/db/files, which triggers the
updateclnt to get them. The dumplist only gets created when you select a
volume to be backed up. It can be just 'touch'-ed, then the empty file
will be pulled in by all clients. I don't know why it tries to fetch the
auth2.tk.BAK file, it should get created whenever the updatesrv detects
that the auth2.tk file is updated.

> After solving this, I'd like to shrink the logfile. Is there an official
> way to do this?

    # /etc/init.d/update.init stop
    # >/vice/misc/UpdateClntLog 	 (or rm /vice/misc/UpdateClntLog)
    # /etc/init.d/update.init start