Coda File System

Coda for Windows NT, 2000, XP

From: Phil Nelson <phil_at_cs.wwu.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 15:59:26 -0800 (PST)
Hello,

The following is a progress report on the Windows NT4, 2000 and XP port
of Coda.

We are very close to a release of an alpha distribution of Coda for
Windows NT 4, Windows 2000 and Windows XP.  We expect to have a
release by mid February.

Coda for Windows NT, 2000 and XP is using a File System Development Kit
(FSDK) provided by Open Systems Resources, Inc.  (See their data sheet at
http://www.osr.com/toolkits_fsdk.shtml)  This kit has made writing a
Coda file system for Windows much easier.  The FSDK is a commercial,
closed source product.

For the initial distribution of Coda for Windows NT, 2000, and XP,
a single binary will be distributed that performs a binary installation
of the Coda File System kernel module and the complete userland binaries.

The only part of the source code that will not be available is for the
kernel module that is based on OSR's FSDK.  Full source is available
for the userland binaries.

The current alpha distribution has been tested on NT, 2000 and XP pro.
We currently have not tested it on XP home edition.

The userland binaries require that Cygwin is installed on any machine using
Coda.  When using a cygwin shell, Coda files appear in their "normal"
location as /coda/... and access to Coda for Windows applications is via
a drive letter.  This drive letter is configurable in the venus.conf
configuration file.  The installation process sets the initial value.

--Phil

--
Phil Nelson                       NetBSD: http://www.netbsd.org
e-mail: phil@cs.wwu.edu           Coda: http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu