Coda File System

Re: Authorisation question

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:15:28 -0500
On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 02:12:12PM +0100, Jurgen Hart wrote:
> I'm planning to use CODA in out LAN but I have an important quesrtion. To me
> it seems that CODA uses it's own username & password Database, now is my
> question if there is the possibility to have CODA get it's username/passwords
> from a NIS-server(ypserv) ???

No, Coda is using the passwords as a shared secret, so the password that
is stored on the server is in plaintext (or plaintext equivalent), you
don't want to have such open passwords publicly available from a
NIS-server.

> In case this isn't possible is there a CODA variant that has this feature.
> Or a sort of NFS with authentication. Different from SAMBA.

There is also kerberos based authentication, where the auth2 daemon
returns the Coda token when the user presents a valid kerberos token.
Configuring for kerberos is still a bit messy, but several people have
had success with this solution.