Coda File System

Re: Next 3 questions

From: Rene Rebe <rene.rebe_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 08:43:04 +0100 (CET)
On: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 00:54:38 -0500,
    Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 06:23:55AM +0100, Rene Rebe wrote:
> > > As long as the client remains disconnected, it won't 'really' discard
> > > the user's tokens so that you continue to have whatever access
> > > permissions were cached at the time of disconnection.
> >
> > This doesn't seem to be as user-firendly as the "weekend trip" stories
> > in all the CODA paper suggest ;-)! - I'll take a look ...
>
> Ehh, how often do you reboot your laptop? I typically just suspend it
> and only reboot once every 2/3 weeks for a kernel upgrade.

Yeah. When my laptop would overlive such suspends ... The APM BIOS is
totally broken (and looks the machine at least after 3-5 minutes) and
the Linux ACPI support (which I use now) has not stable suspend
support yet ... :-(

But when you use suspend - your token get also invaild after 25 hours

> Venus only writes the data back when the file is closed, i.e. all writes
> have completed. After that it should be the same speed, however SFTP
> (the bulk data transport) is a strange beast and such an asymmetry
> somehow doesn't surprise me too much, the last time I checked we could
> write at 3MB/s to a triply replicated volume (i.e. pushing 9MB/s out on
> the network), but got about 2MB/s to a doubly replicated volume (for a
> total of 4MB/s). There is some really funny timing going on and it
> turned out to be hard to tune. The current settings seemed to be the
> 'best' for various networks I tested, 33k6 dialup, 10base-T and a
> simulated ad-hoc wireless 2MB/s network, while contacting doubly and
> triply replicated servers.

The stange thing is, that direct coping to the server (in the moment
when the files gets closed) are much slower compared to the copy
during reintegration after a manual cfs disconnect.

btw. the speed was the same even with aethereal capturing the packages

After some sleep I'll take a look into the source.

> Jan

k33p h4ck1n6

--

eMail:    rene.rebe_at_gmx.net