Coda File System

Re: Webserver updated

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 12:43:15 -0500
On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 01:37:49PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Brett> [Wikis are p]opular but the small sampling I have done of
>     Brett> them has shown all the ones I looked at to be 100% useless.

I tend to get lost, or the information isn't there where I'm looking for
it.

> In both cases, the core wiki admins specifically allocate time to
> updating the FAQs.  You need to have a couple of people, preferably
> five or six, who consider care and feeding of the wiki FAQ their
> personal responsibility.

Ah, so if I could make four or five clones of myself we'd be set ;)

> It's a pretty good way for newbies, wannabes, and people who feel they
> they want to give _something_ but are really pressed for time, to
> contribute, but they need some "veterans" around to help them get
> started.

I was hoping that some of the post-newbies to be able to write down
their experience. Like 'hey I got this to work and this is how I did
it...". Or be able to extend existing information, "this didn't work
for me, but I got it working by doing..."

If there was shared authoring environment (i.e. anything that could
import/export DocBook SGML) it would be the next best thing to sliced
bread, because I'd stick the "Coda Users and System Administrators
manual" in there, obsolete information could then get flagged or
replaced by whoever discovers that something doesn't work as described
anymore and new html/postscript/pdf versions could be extracted once in
a while.

But otherwise it will probably provide yet another place for gathering
redundant, conflicting, and obsolete information.