Coda File System

Re: venus, she is strange sometimes :-)

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 02:27:54 +0100 (MET)
On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Jan Harkes wrote:

> > #!/coda/<some-path-approximately-this-long>/sh
> >
> > Once in a while I get messages like
> > "/coda/<some-path-here>/grep: bad interpreter: Is a directory"
> > or
> > "/coda/<some-path-here>/tail: bad interpreter: Is a directory"

> Do /coda/<some-path-here>/{grep,tail} actually exist? Are those these

Sure, they exist and are used all the time. Except really seldom cases,
I had the above effect 3 times, 2 times for grep and 1 time for tail,
only *sometimes* while running abcde, otherwise never seen that
problem (of course, I'm using rutinely both grep and tail - exactly those
wrappers).

> wrappers you are describing? And their first line is the #!/coda/<xxx>sh
> thing? It almost looks like we're returning the wrong object during the

Yes.

> lookup. Strace -f output of such a failing execution is probably a bit
> big, and possibly the strace even makes the race condition go away. But
> I'm curious what syscall is returning EISDIR.

I don't think I can reproduce the effect deliberately, even less with
strace... :-/ It probably would take days of experimenting...
If I find a possibility to reproduce, I'll produce a strace.

> > many reintegrating...SUCCESS messages on the console, venus dies and then
> > gets assertion failed (about "volume -> is replicated") on restars.
>
> This is a know problem that I haven't been able to fix yet. Whenever a

Ok, at least you know the reason. Hopefully it will be fixed some time.

See you,
--
Ivan