Coda File System

Software on Coda

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 13:13:25 +0100 (MET)
[Steffen Neumann wrote about running StarOffice from Coda.]

By the way, Steffen,

as you are putting the binaries on /coda, I would like to hear how you
structure your binaries, libraries and pathes while using Coda.

I am interested to know how the people approach the usage of a global file
system as software storage, especially if/how one addresses
configurability, per-user and per-machine (hardware, processor features,
for things like mplayer running different code on Pentium, Pentium MMX and
Pentium Pro).

Most programs are still being developed with the implicit assumption "one
and the same machine for both compile and running", and there is
definitely no unified way of treating a globally accessible software even
among the programs that do care about it. We, the system administrators,
have to solve that anyway.

So I'd appreciate if you spend a quarter writing a letter about your
solution, preferably to me by private mail - I do not know, how many on
the list are interested, and on the other side whether you want to make
that information public.

Anyone here having good ideas or positive experience is welcome to drop me
a note, but in general I cannot promise any comments.

(I have some ideas and a positive experience but I still have to write
down something like a white paper to be able to present them. It takes a
lot more than a quarter )-:

Otherwise, I think it is a suitable topic for this list.

Cheers,
--
Ivan