Coda File System

Re: server: Assertion failed: 0, file "vol-salvage.cc", line 1284

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 09:12:55 -0500
On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 10:34:02AM +0100, Ivan Popov wrote:
> Server version is about cvs 2002-01-16, might be 5.3.19 would survive on
> this data?

Nope, there is an initialized vnode on the freelist. Something that
should never be possible because clearing a vnode is in the same RVM
transaction as moving it to the freelist. Somehow it happened here, now
I don't know whether this vnode is actually free, or was picked up from
the freelist and is being used in some volume.

In case it's really free, we could clear it. If it is used we should
take it out of the freelist. The scary thing is really that the
atomicity guarantee of RVM was broken, otherwise we would never get into
this state.

First of all, we better check with 'norton' what is going on.

norton> show free large

This should give how many large vnodes are on the freelist and will
dump the contents of any vnodes that are non-zero.

> The only noticable thing I did yesterday with the files was to delete a
> volume about 250Mbyte, otherwise it was nothing remarkable, and the
> shutdown was clean.

Did you purge the volume, or delete the individual files/directories.
Was the client connected or write-disconnected (reintegrating).