Coda File System

about problems with massive updates

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 11:53:27 +0200 (MET DST)
On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, Phil Nelson wrote:

> Large installations like this still have some problems.   There
> were just some reports of writing lots of files to a server. Also,

I assume it was mine.

It is lots of symlink creations that slow down the server and make the
client timeout. The server accepts *file* data without too much trouble
but lots of metadata becomes hard. I am populating multiple directories
with over 600 symlinks each, over 20000 files together, most of them
symlinks.
The result - Pentium 100 server stops answering for couple of seconds
or even longer rather often, for reallocating volume structures. Might
it be my rvm that is fragmented or something?

Cheers,
--
Ivan