Coda File System

Re: pushing the limits

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 14:21:05 -0500
On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 09:28:20PM +0200, Ivan Popov wrote:
> I run into a barrier...
>
> cfs strong; cfs wf -on; find /local/dir | cpio -pvdm /coda/dir
>
> goes for a while then the server is "growing a small list" taking a break
> on answering the client => the client is thrown into write-disconnected
> mode, or even disconnected mode, rapidly accumulating updates in the
> log...
> Then the server wakes up and the client tries to reintegrate, while the
> server tends to take breaks for growing the lists.

Yeah, I know exactly what is going on. RVM doesn't coalesce free
fragments, until allocation fails. When we are growing the small (files)
or large (directories) vnode lists we make one of the largest memory
allocations that a server can possibly see, so even with mildly
fragmented RVM these are the ones where we start defragmenting.

The defragmentation basically involves walking the unordered list of
free chunks and comparing them with all other free chunks, if the two
are adjacent they are merged into a bigger one. This is done repeatedly
until nothing can be merged anymore. This can also create very large RVM
transactions that cannot be logged.

There is no RVM realloc, so during all of this we actually use twice the
size of the list we are growing of RVM memory.

Some possibly not too hard solutions,

 - Add 'LWP_Yield' scheduling points during the defragmentation. This
   won't improve the slowdown or the size of the RVM transaction, but
   the server will at least be able to respond to incoming RPC's and
   tell the clients that it's busy.
 - Keep free chunks ordered so we can make the merge phase more
   efficient, this doesn't help in reducing the size of the the large
   RVM transaction after a 'defragmenting malloc'.
 - Always try to merge when we free a chunk. This will slow down free,
   and possibly allocations as we are more likely to have to split up
   larger chunks. But we won't have the periodic stall or huge RVM
   transactions.