Coda File System

Re: Problem in changing user passwords and mounting

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 10:16:50 -0400
On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 01:56:18PM +0300, Jani Puttonen wrote:
> I'm trying to change users password in coda
> client. I'm using au cp in client computer.
>
> [janput_at_fry /coda]$ au cp
> Your Vice name: janput
> Your password: *****
> RPC2_Bind() --> RPC2_SUCCESS
> User name: codaclnt
> New password: *****
> AuthNameToId() --> AUTH_FAILED

You should use 'au nu' (new user), cp changes the password of an
existing user in the auth.pw list, but codaclnt isn't in that list yet.

> [janput_at_fry /coda]$ cfs mkmount /coda/janput user:janput
> [janput_at_fry /coda]$
>
> And that went also correctly. Now /coda directory holds
> janput directory, but it is empty, though /vicepa on
> the coda server holds some files.

How do you mean? A Coda server doesn't export an existing tree in
/vicepa, it can only show files that have associated metadata (such as
version vectors) in RVM, which is only created by storing files through
a Coda client.

So any /vicepa/janput/blah won't show, but if you create a file in
/coda/janput/blah on a client, /vicepa will get a 'container file'
called /vicepa/00/00/00/01 or something and there will be a bit of
metadata in RVM that describes this file's attributes.