Coda File System

Re: partitions on freebsd

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 10:23:00 -0400
On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 09:10:26AM +0200, Fredrik Bodin wrote:
> I have added a second hard drive on my freebsd 4.5 witch i'm going to
> use for coda.
>
> Hov shuld i partition this drive, it's 40GB . And how do i do it? I
> have set up code using file for rvm but i want to try it out with it's
> own hard drive.

I guess fdisk or something? I don't really know how to partition drives
on freebsd. The problem of sharing the same drive for RVM log, RVM data
and /vicepa partitions is that a Coda server will either use the RVM log
and /vicepa partitions at the same time during a write, or RVM log and
RVM data during an RVM log truncation. Both of these will be a lot
slower because the disk has to seek all the time. It is typically better
to keep at least RVM log on a separate drive, but small 'log drives' are
hard to find (we use old 2GB SCSI drives for dedicated RVM log, and we
actually only use the first 2-20MB).