Coda File System

Re: Problem authenticating as Codaadmin

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:45:34 -0400
On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 03:28:25PM -0700, Tewari, Vijay wrote:
> I have setup a coda server and ma having problems authenticating as
> codaadmin.
>
> During vice-setup I gave the UID of 500 and username of my account (tewari)
> as the Coda:Administrator.
>
> After the install when I try to add a new user as
>
> /usr/sbin/au -h codasrv_vijay nu (I am logged in as tewari on the machine
> codasrv_vijay, I even tried this logged in as root) I get
>
> RPC2_Bind() --> RPC2_NOAUTHENTICATED (F)

Did you use 'changeme' as the password? Coda isn't using the /etc/passwd
passwords, for one because it uses the password as a shared secret and
therefore needs a cleartext copy of the original instead of a hash.
Which is also one of the reasons why Coda passwords probably shouldn't
be the same as regular account passwords. When an auth server is hacked,
the hacker can recover passwords from of the Coda password file without
having to resort to password guessing attacks.