Coda File System

Re: updatesrv not starting

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 12:03:41 -0400
On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 02:10:07PM +0200, srickaue_at_mail.eds.ch wrote:
> Thanks. Great to know that it works on your machine. But that doesn't help
> me.

Actually that is not my machine.

My desktop and laptop are both running Debian-unstable with no problems.
Most of our servers are Debian-testing, working fine. Then we have a few
old RedHat 5.1 servers, no problems there. Several graduate students
here at CMU are running Coda clients on their laptops and desktops with
varying releases of RedHat (mostly 6.x I believe) and Mandrake.

I believe Intel research labs here in Pittsburgh is actually running
about 4-6 singly replicated Coda servers on recent RedHat machines, but
Casey probably just compiled everything from source.

Then we have a couple of FreeBSD-stable and one or two NetBSD test
servers. Oh, and we have Coda clients running on a handful of
Sparcstations with both Solaris and Linux, about 15 iPaq handhelds
(ARM/Linux) and 2 NEC handhelds running NetBSD-MIPS. And if I actually
get an empeg at some point I'll have Coda running in my car in no time.

> there is no documentation or other help available. My last test will be
> with Debian. I'm afraid that the "success" will be the same.

Summary, the RPMs on the Coda ftp were build on RedHat 5.1 machines
which uses an older version of libc and ncurses for which all newer
releases have special backward compatibility libraries (compat-libc?).
They either have broken backward compatibility for such a really old
release, or perhaps RPMs were installed with the --force flag to get
rid of the warnings but now the compatibility libraries are missing and
the wrong library is loaded at runtime.