Coda File System

Re: Venus startup problems

From: Steffen Neumann <sneumann_at_TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
Date: 12 Jul 2002 10:29:31 +0200
"Tewari, Vijay" <vijay.tewari_at_intel.com> writes:

> I am attempting start Venus and get the following error
>
> Venus Starting
> CHILD: mount system call failed. Killing parent

I don't recall what exactly causes this,
but there's a few things to check if coda doesn't
start:

1) Is there a leftover venus pid file ?
   Check the venus.conf for its location:

	#
	# Where does venus store it's pidfile
	#
	pid_file=/opt/coda/coda_client/venus.cache/pid

2) Is coda stopped at all ? No second venus will start.
	ps auxw | grep venus

   This also happens if venus dies and for debugging purposes
   sleeps forever, so that you could do a post mortem.

   kill -9 is your friend...

3) Is /coda empty ? If you get an i/o Error coda
   is not dead enough. Often it hangs because *some*
   process has a file open under /coda/*.

   If lsof doesn't help you,
   you can check

		/proc/<pid>/cwd