Coda File System

Re: Venus startup problems

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 10:03:23 -0400
On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 09:56:13AM -0700, Tewari, Vijay wrote:
> I am attempting start Venus and get the following error
>
> Venus Starting
> CHILD: mount system call failed. Killing parent
>
> Not sure what the problem is.

What is failing is the mount(something on /coda) system call. Most
likely /coda didn't get unmounted the last time venus was shutdown.

Like Steffen said in his mail, there are multiple possible reasons for
the umount to fail. You can try "umount /coda", if that fails any of the
causes he mentions could be the reason umount is failing.

lsof | grep /coda, and kill are your friends here.