Coda File System

Docs are inconsistent: Virtual Memory

From: Derek Simkowiak <dereks_at_itsite.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 12:49:03 -0700 (PDT)
	After reading through the docs yet again, there appears to be
inconsistent information in the admin guide regarding virtual memory.

	The admin guide says

(From http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/doc/html/manual/installsvr.html):
--
Virtual memory. The metadata, held in the RVM data file, is memory mapped.
You need that amount of space as virtual memory on your system, in

	This implies that, if I want a 25 Gig volume (with its 1 Gig RVM
metadata storage file), I need a 1 Gig Linux Swap partition (assuming that
the term "virtual memory" above refers to the Linux swap partition).

	Yet Phil Nelson gave me his NetBSD example that shows the codasrv
using far, far, far less than the RVM metadata size

(From Phil:)
--
On my NetBSD system, the server using 1G RVM (25G files) shows the
following:

root   644  0.0 11.9 5768 15524 ??  S<s  17Sep02     0:11.34 codasrv -n 1
                     ^    ^- Virtual memory size in k bytes
                     |--- Memory resident size of the VM.
--

	Furthermore, the admin guide later gives this little nugget

(From http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/doc/html/manual/x1199.html:)
--
Note: running a server seriously dips into system virtual memory. Running
a Coda server, a Coda client and X11, we have observed that slightly over

	Here the admin guide says _nothing_ about needing virtual memory
space that matches the RVM metadata size.  This practically conflicts with
the earlier quote from the admin guide, where it explicitly states that
"You need that amount of [RVM-sized] space as virtual memory on your
system, in addition to virtual memory to run the server (~6MB) and other
software."

	So the impression that I am left with is that I absolutely,
positively NEED a Linux swap partition that is equal to my RVM metadata
file size, which (with my 25 Gig volume) will be 1 Gig, but that this
amount of virtual memory will probably never actually be used by the CODA
server.  I'm not sure if Linux even allows for swap partitions that big,
as I've never used anything larger than about 250 Megs for a swap
parition.

	I'm hoping that the first statement (about needing as much virtual
memory as you have RVM metadata) is wrong and can be removed from the
admin guide.

Thank You,
Derek