Coda File System

Re: crash recovery

From: Steffen Neumann <sneumann_at_TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
Date: 18 Oct 2002 15:34:41 +0200
Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu> writes:

> Sigh, third time I'm typing this reply, I keep losing my dialup
> connection this morning..
I edit my mail locally and then I tend to forget sending it ...

> You should be able to do 'inoder /vice/db/vicetab /vicepa header <inum>
Yup, that did it.
No important files seem to have gone to nirwana.

> > gave us
> >
> > 	14:15:10 TryToCover: bogus link length
> >
> > What does that mean ?
>
> A dangling symlink (i.e. mountlink) that has a length that is smaller
> than the minimal number of characters needed to make it a valid
> mountpoint. i.e. a normal name is "#volume.", so it should have at
> least 2 characters, this one probably has a length of 0 or 1. Maybe one
> of the lost files was storing the 'contents' of the symlink?

I couldn't find this one, but I have one strange thing.
It is not so important since that user is gone,
but read on why I wouldn't like to erase that volume
without prior asking what goes on:

Normally every user has a volume for his/her
own homedir:

	cfs lv /coda/homes/sneumann
	  Status of volume 0x7f000001 (2130706433) named "coda.homes.sneumann"

I have one where things are different:

	cfs lv /coda/homes/pgehler
	  Status of volume 0x7f000000 (2130706432) named "coda.root"

This looks as if there is nothing mounted:

	mkdir bla
	cfs lv /coda/homes/bla
	  Status of volume 0x7f000000 (2130706432) named "coda.root"

but actually there seems to be a loop:

	ls /coda/homes/pgehler/
	aschneid  cdessin   floemker  itoptsis  mkleineh  pgehler  sneumann  tcwiekal
[...]
	cbauckha  efrese    iphaenel  mkatzer   pfeiffer  slang    tboverma

	ls /coda/homes/
	aschneid  cdessin   floemker  itoptsis  mkleineh  pgehler  sneumann  tcwiekal
[...]
	cbauckha  efrese    iphaenel  mkatzer   pfeiffer  slang    tboverma

Anyway, this was just for completeness.
No data seems to be lost.

Yours,
Steffen