Coda File System

Re: Fwd: Default password or other problem on first login after initial setup

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 15:16:04 -0500
On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 07:16:37PM +0700, hidayat wrote:
> clog
> username: matt
> Password:
> Invalid login (RPC2_NOTAUTHENTICATED (F)).
>
> I am trying the default password "changeme". "matt" is the user name I gave
> during vice-setup. I'm using Debian unstable.
>
> Venus runs, I even have /coda mounted. Suggestions??

Not sure what's going on here, the auth2 daemon on the server is
running, otherwise we would see a RPC2_NOBINDING error. This error
indicates that auth2 either didn't find the username in the pdb
database, or that the password doesn't match the one in the auth2.pw
file.

As the auth server didn't return a usable token, clog hasn't even tried
to contact venus, so it doesn't really matter whether it was running or
not.

With 'strace' you can check if auth2 is really talking to the server
you are expecting. Perhaps it is trying to get the token from
testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu (128.2.209.213)?

On the server there should be a log in /vice/auth2/AuthLog, it might
possibly contain some indication of what went wrong.

With "pdbtool list" you can check whether the username 'matt' exists,
perhaps there is some 'invisible corruption', it could have an
additional tab or space character behind the name?

You could run 'vice-setup-user' to recreate the pdb and auth2.pw files.