Coda File System

Re: Unable to do beginrepair...

From: Brett Lymn <blymn_at_baesystems.com.au>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 12:07:35 +1030
On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 09:32:09AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> IPsec speed should be ok; server is a PPro-200 and client a Pentium IV
> 2GHz, which should be able to keep up (doing AES and HMAC-SHA1).
> Seriously, it's not the cpu speed, although there could be hiccups
> during SA renegotiation (but I don't think so).

Hmmmm interesting, I have pretty much a similar situation to you Greg,
then only exception is that I run a wireless network between my laptop
and my server.  That and my server is a bit faster and my laptop a bit
slower... I run ipsec (over wireless running WEP :-).  I very rarely
get any conflicts if ever - about the only time I seem to have trouble
is when my client has gone down dirty while disconnected (damn flaky
battery ;-)

> This seemed to persist, even though I could do 'cfs lv'.  My real
> problem isn't that something bad happened, it's that I could not
> recover.

Do you run a strong connection?

> This is on NetBSD 1.6, but I have had similar experiences on FreeBSD.

I am running fairly close to the head of NetBSD-current, I will be
updating that to head soon again.  My server is running i386 SMP at
the moment and I do not appear to have any grief with coda on that
front which is good (just a data point for peoples).

> I don't think that will make the difference.  Mine is nominally 33.6,
> but I get 28 or 26.  It could be that the BSD kernel support is
> buggy.  That would be fair enough after all the trouble I've seen with
> Linux kernels and coda over the years.

I will have a look at doing some heavy CVS'ing on my setup and see
what happens.  I have been planning to do this anyway as I am playing
with a larger project.  Up til now my modus operandi is to "cvs co"
a tree on the server and then hoard the data to my laptop, maybe do
some small commits from the laptop to the cvs server when
disconnected.  As I said, I have not had many problems that cannot be
laid at the feet of a dirty shutdown or my fat fingers...

I can try to help having a look at this.  Being a NetBSD develepor I
can, if need be, put fixes into the NetBSD tree and get them pulled up
into the 1.6 branch.

--
Brett Lymn