Coda File System

Re: Unable to do beginrepair...

From: Brett Lymn <blymn_at_baesystems.com.au>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 22:32:57 +1030
On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 09:35:04AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> For IPsec, I am running transport mode from client to server; I am not
> doing any tunnel-mode across wireless at the moment.

Ah, ok.  I use tunnel mode... not that this would make any difference.

> when near the server, sometimes.   Across the 28.8 link, essentially
> never.  Then I think things work, but it's too painful, and I really
> like the write-behind caching of wd mode.

I can understand why you would want to do that over a slow link but on
the other hand, this is probably why you have your conflicts.  I seem
to recall Jan saying there were a lot of lurking bugs in that code...

> If you are in the mood, build and install cfs, and then try using
> emacs in a cfs filesystem, which will create symlinks for emacs's own
> advisory locks when modified.  I have been able to panic a 1.6-stable
> system doing this, with a 'ref cnt' panic in vput (I think count was
> zero when it should have been 1).  Both emacs-in-coda and emacs-in-cfs
> seem to work.  Note that cfs makes symlinks to nowhere to store IVs,
> as in .pvect_hex -> hex.  symlinks in the ciphertext fs don't seem to
> have IVs (like the filenames themselves).

Probably worth doing a send-pr on that, I will try to remember to ask
the cfs dude about that next time I see him.

> The operation that seems to hose me when over the 28.8 line is (no cfs
> here):
> $ cd /coda/home/gdt/foo/bar
> $ mv /home/gdt/file . #from regular ffs on local disk
> But I have not really isolated things.  Try having other competing
> traffic on the link too.

Just mv or cp as well?

> Do you have the _repository_ in Coda (shudder), or just your working
> area?

Just my working area, I do my development there - the CML can get
quite large if I decided to do a clean and then rebuild.

> CFS needs the following to play nice with coda:

OK - I will see if I can talk to some other developers and get them to
have a look.  The problem is that not many people use coda and so coda
related things can get overlooked.  It is not a fluke that UVM works
with Coda you know ;-)

--
Brett Lymn