Coda File System

Re: coda on RedHat 8.0 ?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 21:35:01 -0500
On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 02:54:43PM -0800, Rod Van Meter wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 07:38, ext Jan Harkes wrote:
>
> > That bug should only exist in kernels before 2.4.10. If the default
> > kernel version is lower, there is probably a more recent kernel
> > available with the RedHat security updates, some security fixes were
> > in more recent 2.4 kernels.
>
> You mean it's now okay ot use ext3 as /vicepa?

That has always been possible, only Coda clients had a problem because
the kernel module was accessing the container files directly from within
kernel space, i.e. without going through the VFS. We fixed that
somewhere around the Linux 2.4.10 release.

It is quite funny if you use ext3 with an external logfile. You cannot
store the logfile in another ext3 filesystem because they are not using
a valid filehandle to access it and writes are lost.

> > > Would  you like to tell me how to solve this problem ? or Any
> > > correct way to install ` CODA' on RedHat 8.0 ?

Grab the new release, all rpm's were compiled on RH-8.0