Coda File System

Re: Suggestions for adminstration scripts

From: jochen <jochen.eisinger_at_gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 19:09:05 +0100
Hi,

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 11:58:22AM -0500, Jan Harkes wrote:
> [ ... lots about binding specific interfaces or not ... ]
To work around such problems, many servers bind every single IP instead
of listening on 0.0.0.0 as the coda servers do. If the server binds
every single IP, it is as reachable is if it had bound to 0.0.0.0, but
the server can determin to which IP addr the packet was send and it can
decide with which IP addr to answer.

> >   * the scripts should always pass the hostname option to other
> >     scripts/binaries. For example createvol_rep nearly always passes
> >     this option to volutil but in one place ... and fails exactly there
>
> createvol_rep should be run on the SCM, and 'volutil' without a hostname
> connects to localhost. i.e. the server on SCM.
localhost resolves here to 192.168.0.1 while he rpc is sending from
192.168.2.1... thus it fails

> >   * cfs mkmount works but it segfaults and locks the whole system. After
> >     rebooting, the mountpoint exists and everything is fine
>
> Never had that happen to me. What linux kernel are you using?
debian/sid, linux-2.4.0 + cryptoapi-0.1.0 + rsbac-1.2.1 (rsbac.org) +
super-freeswan-1.99-kb2 (www.freeswan.ca/code/super-freeswan/). Note
that this happens while running rsbac in softmode (i.e. the access
restrictions don't apply) and the rsbac system isn't complaining about
some security violations)

regards
-- jochen