Coda File System

Re: video server?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen_at_xemacs.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 12:24:37 +0900

    Michael> I need to setup a network fileserver(s) for dealing with
    Michael> large video files to be viewed and edited on client
    Michael> machines.

Coda is not really a network fileserver in the sense of NFS or Samba.
You cannot run Coda without a local filesystem.[1]  Furthermore, Coda
doesn't really have any concept of "read-only volumes" (it used to,
but as far as I know there never were any optimizations done for this
case---and anyway, you mention "editing").  So to preserve atomicity
of changes, Coda caches the _whole file_ locally before the open()
call returns.  Huge file => huge latency.

You probably want NFS or Samba, really.

Footnotes:
[1]  You can host the filesystem on a ramdisk if that makes you happy.