Coda File System

Re: the building tools

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 17:35:45 +0100 (MET)
On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Jan Harkes wrote:

> > I am rebuilding lwp,rpc2,rvm libraries and I see that libtool is used and
> > that it tries hard to compile library paths into the libraries and
> > the binaries.
>
> Libtool only hardcodes paths when the destination path is not in the
> default run-time search path. So if you configure with prefix set to
> /usr, it shouldn't use rpath at all.

Hello Jan!

I am in a position where "default run-time search path" is not used at all
as there is no such thing.

Here each software unit (binary or a set of binaries) has its own
configuration, and its own set of [links to] libraries. That ensures
independency between different programs, libraries and library versions
and as such is an important concept behind the software setup.

"make install" is always done to a new location in the file system, never
to a common "system wide" directory (there is no such one either, as soon
as you are on a global file system).

So, while running ltconfig or something it may either detect a presense of
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH [1] or guess with help of some binary (ldconfig?) [2] or
otherwise guess wildly something like
/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/opt/lib:/usr/ucb/lib:/usr/lib/X11:/usr/X11R6/lib
[3]

any of [1], [2], [3] does *not* ever coincide with the place the libraries
are going to be put into, so I'm stuck with always having rpath...

or rather with always hacking away that "feature".

Ideally, configure should have a --no-rpath switch... :-/
sorry I am dreaming...

Regards and happy New Year!
--
Ivan