Coda File System

rvmutl usage

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 00:53:08 +0100 (MET)
Hello,

as I couldn't easily find the relevant reference, I post it here,
to be sure it is archived and available for somebody else:

Jan once described the steps necessary to recover rvm from "date had been
far in the future" situation.
I had to use one extra command, compared to the decription, I mark it by

2000-05-22 Jan wrote:
----------------------------------
On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 06:39:03PM +0000, bernat_at_kaos.es wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've set up a Coda server for testing and by error I changed the
> system date to a future date, and I rebooted. Now coda refuses
> to start. It complains with
>
> Assertion failed: 0, file "srv.cc", line 1735
> Sleeping forever. You may use gdb to attach to process 266.
>
> What can I do to solve the problem?

    * Kill the server if it is still hanging around.
    * Set the date to beyond the time you had earlier.
* Use rvmutl to truncate all pending operations in the RVM log.
(substitute `logfile' for your RVM log file or partition)

    > rvmutl

    * open_log <logfile>
    * status Status of log: /home/clement/linuxobj8/rvm-src/tests/logfile
log created on: Tue Nov 4 1997 17:31:10.244793 log created with: RVM
Interface Version 1.3 7 Mar 1994 (more display omitted ...)

>>> * seg_dict
>>> (showed some info about my data segment)

    * recover
    * quit
          o Set the date back to normal.
    o Reinitialize the RVM log only! > rvmutl
    * i <logfile> 1M
    * quit
    o Restart the server.

Without "seg_dict" rvmutl complained, trying to use a null pointer as the
data segment file name.

Regards,
--
Ivan