Coda File System

Re: ERROR: rds_zap_heap RVM_EINTERNAL message.

From: Carl Baldwin <carl_at_ecbaldwin.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:53:18 -0700
Ok, it seems that I had a swap partition that wasn't active.  I will
try first to add more swap to the system and then reduce the amount of
memory that I use for the data partition.

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 03:13:43AM -0500, Jan Harkes wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 11:14:16PM -0700, Carl Baldwin wrote:
> > //www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/pub/coda/linux.  I ran vice-setup and everything
> > seemed to go well until right at the end when it gave this error:
>
> Hmm, interesting. I get the same error with a 200M data file. The 130M
> one works. One of those magic numbers is probably wrong.
>
> ... strace'd it ...
>
> old_mmap(0x50000000, 184549376, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_FIXED|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = -1 ENOMEM (Cannot allocate memory)
>
> It looks like we can't mmap the data file at the address we want it
> even. But we did set ulimit -d unlimited. Ok found the problem, for some
> reason the 2.4 linux kernels are disabling overcommit, and we're
> probably trying to map more than the system has available. Enabling
> overcommit (echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/overcommit) and the OOM killer kicks
> in because I really don't have enough memory + swap available.
>
> Solution, add more swap or use a smaller data segment.
>
> > What is your log partition? /var/log/codalog

Point taken.  /var/log was just the natural directory to think of when
I first saw the word log and didn't really know what it was going to
be used for.