Coda File System

Re: SCM and redundancy

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:05:54 +0100 (MET)
Hello Eser,

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Eser Utku wrote:

> I was wondering whether there is any possibility of having full redundancy
> with Coda since, from what I have gathered, when the SCM server is
> disconnected or crashes the clients can`t reach shared files that are
> created after the SCM is out even though other servers may be online.

no, not really.

SCM has to be online for
 - managing (in practice creating or deleting) volumes
 - managing (creating or deleting) users
   (assuming you would have users' passwords in an independent database
   like Kerberos)

Those are administrative operations, as a rule done by humans,
usually delayable without problems in case the server is temporarily
unavailable.

> Therefore this creates a single point of failure.

Not really. SCM as such is not vital for file access.

Regards,
--
Ivan