Coda File System

Re: Unremovable Files (No such file or directory)

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 11:08:03 -0500
On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 12:21:00PM +0100, Steffen Neumann wrote:
> We've not lost data, but we'd like to get rid of it ;-)
> The weird data seems to have made it to the server,
> having ls show a path like source/lt_modem.o
> looks wrong in my eyes:
>
> 	munch(sneumann):ltmodem-6.00b7>pwd
> 	/coda/vol/kernel/src/ltmodem-6.00b7
> 	munch(sneumann):ltmodem-6.00b7>ls
> 	source/autoload  source/lt_modem.o   source/ltinst2
> 	source/cleanup   source/lt_serial.o  source/ltuninst2

I'm wondering which emoticon would be appriopriate to show my jaw
dropping on the floor.

How in the world did those pathnames manage to get past the kernel?
I can see how, once we get to the point of creating a file in a
directory, that we don't care what characters are used in the filename,
but the kernel should have walked the path all the way to the last
component before passing it down to venus.

Hmm, how to remove it. I know that older clients would allow you to use
'cfs rmm' to remove any object, but it won't do that anymore. And cfs
will be interpreting the path incorrectly as well.

I will probably create 'rename name' operation for norton that can be
used to change the names into something more accessible.