Coda File System

Re: replicated backup :-)

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 15:54:12 -0500
On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 05:30:56PM +0100, Ivan Popov wrote:
> and that we still lack multilevel backup volumes (despite that they would
> fit very naturally, but also afs and dfs people missed it).

Ehh, we have had multi-level backups working reliably for almost three
years now.

    Dump the entire contents of a volume (volume-ID in Hex) to a file
    (filename). Dumps to stdout when no filename is specified.
    If the -i flag is used, the dump will be incremental, it will only
    include vnodes which have been modified since the last dump of a
    lower incremental level was taken.

And there is the very useful,

  volutil dumpestimates <volumeid>

    Estimate the size of a volume dump. It will return expected dump
    sizes for the first 10 incremental levels.

I think the incremental level can be anything between '0 and 255', but I
could be mistaken and it could very well be an even more generous
0-MAX_INT. This was all added to get backups working with a couple of
small changes to Amanda.

Just noticed that viewcvs never showed the amanda and vc95 directories
because of unnecessary " characters in the configuration file.