Coda File System

Re: gzip not found - codacli-a7 windows xp

From: Daniele Palumbo <rocco_at_rimini.no-ip.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:51:15 +0100
At 23.31 16/03/2003 -0500, Jan Harkes wrote:
> > i don't know why, i have not searched so deep, but
> > 1) all binries are in /bin, from cygwin something is in /bin, other in
> > /usr/bin
> > 2) from windows (cmd.exe, explorer) /usr/bin is *clean*
> > 3) trying tar -zxvf usr.local.tgz from cmd.exe: ok
> > 4) the same from cygwin: ok
>
>Hmm, so it basically works when you're not using the wise installer.

so i need to know WHAT the installer do in that moment

> > 5) in (windows) path there are both e:\cygwin\usr\bin (default) and
> > e:\cygwin\bin (i have added it)
>
>I didn't think cygwin actually used the windows path. It should be
>setting the unix 'PATH' environment variable in /etc/bash_profile. I
>haven't looked at the installer, but perhaps it is setting its own path
>environment which doesn't include where you installed cygwin.

from cygwin
$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/e/programmi/java/j2sdk1.4.1_01/bin:"E:/Programmi/Norton
SystemWorks/Norton Ghost/":/usr/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin

is the same Path of windows xp. only c:\ is replaced by /cygdrive/c/, and
e:\ /cygdrive/e/

> > i took note of the "closin' source" of windows version for coda, but it's
> > not a good reason to "take out of control" the installation,
>
>The windows version of Coda is not closed source, it builds from the
>same source tree as the unix versions. Only the source for the kernel
>module that hooks our userspace code into the NT/2000/XP filesystem
>cannot be released at this time.

ok, more clean to my mind now

> > for me the binaries idea of coda (for windows) is good, but a zip without
> > nothing else is better or if community want, both the thing (wise + zip)
>
>The wise installer is there because we don't really want people to hack
>their registry settings by hand and to get a somewhat standardized
>installation. This makes it easier to reproduce problems.

ok, good answer,  but for now, can you provide me (also in attachment if
you want)
the install procedure? i need to find out why gzip is not found...
by now, i am downloading the coda 5.3.19 source, and i am trying to compile it
in windows. but i'm sure i'll cry for all day :)

>Jan

Daniele