Coda File System

Re: Coda files owner and access bits

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 18:38:27 +0200 (MET DST)
On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, lou wrote:

> > Mount "via fstab" == "per host" is a certain way to create management
> > nightmares when a system becomes big.

> Agree whit that, i personally hate NFS/sfs/PVFS/blahblah, no redundancy :)

But your intention to move coda tree to a non-standard location is exactly
of that sort, with all consequences.

> What do you mean by global filetree? Coda Filetree or local fs filetree?

Coda filetree. Any file on Coda has the same path leading to it, on any
Coda-aware computer in the world, unless a host admin moves the coda
mountpoint somewhere else from /coda. Then the coda filetree is not any
longer global, as the paths are different on different hosts.

> > I suppose that your intention to mount Coda tree at a non-standard
> > location is not really crucial for any practical task.

> depends, i'm sure most of us have reasons to put /b in /a/b rather than b in /c/b.

Certainly you need a solution for some problem, and you choose to
implement it by mounting things. My point is that it is not the only and
may be not the best solution.

Well, may be Coda should be tolerant and allow you to do things your way
if you insist. Just don't blame Coda afterwads :-)

> ... not meant to be easy for the admin ...

:-)

Best regards, and good luck Lou!
--
Ivan