Coda File System

Re: Beginner having trouble using coda, two actually

From: Omen Wild <Omen.Wild_at_Dartmouth.EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 17:34:34 -0400
Quoting Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu> on Sun, Apr 13 23:51:

> A client connects to a 'rootserver' only to ask for volume location
> information.

Got it.

[ snip ]

> So your server probably resolves it's own name to either 127.0.0.1, or
> to an address that is unroutable from outside the private network.

It does resolve to 192.168.1.1, but that address is directly reachable
through the VPN.  I can 'ssh 192.168.1.1' just fine.  I can also 'lynx
192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/env.pl' which shows that HTTP_HOST=192.168.1.1 .

It is interesting that if I set the rootserver to 192.168.1.1, then I
get 'GetRootVolume: can't get root volume name!' errors, so some
something is clearly breaking.

> But it's the SFTP server->client traffic that can't get through. Perhaps
> you simply need to set 'masquerade=1' in /etc/coda/venus.conf?

Drat, I had my hopes up for a minute for an easy fix, but no such luck.
masquerade is already set (it's the Debian default).  I don't know if
it makes a difference, but masquerade_port=0.

I would be happy to supply a packed dump of the VPN contents if it
would help.  Any other info I can supply that might help?

Thanks,
   Omen

--
Slurm, n.: The slime that accumulates on the underside
of a soap bar when it sits in the dish too long.