Coda File System

one thought about backup volumes

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 23:37:53 +0200 (MET DST)
Hello,

I am slightly rearranging the layout of user data on Coda
and discovered that I am constrained by the hard relation between
a volume name and a corresponding backup volume name.

It becomes noticeable when you want to keep the name of a volume and its
mount point consistent with each other - and believe me, you want.

Of course it is very usable as it is:
..../name/.....
..../name.backup/.....

But I would like to be able to choose a backup volume name for volume
"xyz"
 as for example
"xyz/backup" or even "xy/backup/z"
 instead of the "hardcoded"
"xyz.backup"

As a more elaborate example:
 ..../<user>/private/....
             public/....
             projects/....
             backup/private/....
                    public/....
                    projects/....

for volumes "..../user" and "..../user/backup"
  or possibly
for volumes "..../user/private" + "..../user/backup/private"
            "..../user/public"  + "..../user/backup/public"
            and so on

I see that I can work around this limitation via "volutil clone"
but iirc then I have to explicitely delete the ro clone each time.

Is it possible to break the hard dependence between the regular and backup
names? I do not see any logical problems with it, rather an improvement,
clearly putting the backup volumes names in the same name space as the
main ones. (Presumably they are there now? Or are regular volume names
ending in .backup forbidden?)

My guess is that all that is needed is a minor change in volutil?
An optional option could take care of naming.

Best regards,
--
Ivan