Coda File System

Re: Links, ReiserFS, Volume Size

From: Andreas Roedl <andreas.roedl_at_native-instruments.de>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 13:06:08 +0200
Hello!

Am Mittwoch, 7. Mai 2003 12:28 schrieb Ivan Popov:
> Steffen has given already all the answers,
> but may be it is useful to point out:
>
> On 7 May 2003, Steffen Neumann wrote:
> > >     maximum RVM size is limited to 130M, which "is good for up to 3.3
> > > GB". http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/doc/html/manual/x1199.html
> >
> > We have 20G half-filled running here.
>
> 20G data corresponds to about 1G RVM, which is near the "real" limit on
> supported architectures (32-bit virtual memory addressing).

So I can choose other RVM sizes than those mentioned in the documenation?

  "What is the size of you data partition (or file) [22M,44M, 90M, 130M]:"

Is a RVM bound to the root volume (/coda) or to volumes below the root volume?

Another clause in the documentation is somehow frightening: "This data is
stored in an RVM data file which is mapped into memory upon startup". What
does it mean? Do I need as much virtual memory as the RVM file/partition
size?

Sorry for asking all those questions, but for a coda beginner its not easy to
figure all these things out. There is a FAQ section about the RVM, but it
seems to be outdated (max. recommended RVM size is 330 MB).

  http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/misc/rvm-usage.html

Andi
--
-> Andreas Roedl            -> Network-/System-Administrator
-> NATIVE INSTRUMENTS GmbH  -> andreas.roedl_at_native-instruments.de