Coda File System

Re: problems with truncated backups

From: Steve Simitzis <steve_at_saturn5.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 14:19:11 -0700
On 05/21/03, Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

> I did a quick check of all code that uses FILEBYNAME transfers and
> luckily, the missing lseek only affects backups that are dumped with the
> backup program.

i'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. is it possible that
i could do backups a different way, to work around this problem
in the meantime?

> The 2GB limit probably has an effect in more places. It should not be
> too hard to fix this for places that transfer a complete file in a
> single sftp operation (i.e. SeekOffset <= 0), which is almost
> everywhere. The code that uses a specific SeekOffset can then be
> converted to either use FILEBYFD and perform the own seek before passing
> the fd down to rpc2, or we have to break the ABI format of the sftp
> descriptor to allow for 64-bit offsets.

hmm. is it possible to backup a partial volume, or should i hang on
for a large files fix (or otherwise break my volumes up into smaller
units than 2GB)?

thanks for your help!

--

steve simitzis : /sim' - i - jees/