Coda File System

Re: Newbie question about clone

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 12:56:29 +0200 (MEST)
On Wed, 28 May 2003, Jeremy Kuo wrote:

> > should do the trick.
>
>    I have done these, but it doesn't work.

Ok, then I can't be of much help - not using clones myself.

>    I read the backup topic trying to find some hint.
>    It seems backup and clone are similar(maybe not?).

clone was developed for read-only replication
(my humble opinion: do not do it)

backups are for accessing a recent previous state of a
volume ("online" backup) or dumping/restoring a volume ("offline" backup)

>    So I backup the volume, coda.vol1, by "volutil backup".
>    The backup volume coda.vol1.0.backup is created and can be mounted.

Good.

>    And is it true that readonly volume can't(or should not) be mounted?

I cannot say anything about clone usability, it can probably be considered
deprecated (?)

Best regards,
--
Ivan