Coda File System

Re: Coda-6.0.0

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 12:07:39 -0400
On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 10:15:48PM +1000, Tim Robbins wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 06:05:12AM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
> > On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 05:27:20AM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
> > >     I've got patches for Linux-2.5 and FreeBSD-current
> >
> > The patch for the FreeBSD-current kernel is at
> >     ftp://ftp.coda.cs.cmu.edu/pub/coda/freebsd/freebsd-current-realms.patch
> >
> > It is a context diff instead of a unidiff, so I'm not sure how well it
> > will apply but it is should be diffed relative to the latest CVS version.
>
> I can't seem to retrieve this file:
>
> 550 freebsd-current-realms.patch: Permission denied
>
> Curiously, the file doesn't show up in a directory listing either.

Mutt saved it 600, and scp preserved the permissions. So apache and
proftpd couldn't access the file. Interesting feature, proftpd actually
makes inaccessible files invisible.

> collection. One question: is it still possible to use venus from Coda 5.3.x
> after applying that patch?

No, we went from 96-bit file identifiers to 128-bit file identifiers
(and the Coda-creds structure got a little trim) So old clients will
definitely not like the new kernel upcalls, and vv.

I'm not really sure that the best solution is. I know that Linus and
Marcello won't really like the backward compatibility issue either.
But on the other hand, if the 6.0.x userspace turns out to be stable
enough are there really any reasons to run 5.x.x?

Actually, I just thought of one. Does either of the BSD's still have the
unmaintained, but non-GPL licensed 4.6 version in the ports collection?
That would be one reason to try to avoid breaking backward
compatibility, even if 5.3.x ends up being obsoleted by release 6.