Coda File System

Re: volumes ?

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:58:52 +0200 (MEST)
Hello Lou,

> These volumes are replicated, and the end I could make it work so I had to remove purge
> all volumes on the SCM and recreate them when both of the servers are in the group.

For the moment you still cannot grow or shrink volume groups,
so as soon as you want to change replication of a volume. you have to
recreate it.

Jan is working on removing that limitation but I would not suggest holding
your breath.

> The next step would be that I'd like to add a 3d server and I have to do it over again,
> and it gets painful to move gigs data around and to recreate all the volumes losing all
> the acls and stuff.
> Any ideas how to get around this?

One and very welcome solution would be if you hack together a script
that would collect acl's from a Coda subtree, pack them together with the
files, say in a tar archive, and be able to unpack and restore the
files and the acls of course. The best if it would work with piped
archives, too.

It should not be too hard, just nobody seems to have taken on this task.

Cheers,
--
Ivan