Coda File System

Re: volumes ?

From: lou <lou_at_0xffff.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:06:35 +0100
In some email I received from Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se> on Mon, 23 Jun 2003
13:58:52 +0200 (MEST), wrote:

> Hello Lou,
>
> > These volumes are replicated, and the end I could make it work so I had to remove
> > purge all volumes on the SCM and recreate them when both of the servers are in the
> > group.
>
> For the moment you still cannot grow or shrink volume groups,
> so as soon as you want to change replication of a volume. you have to
> recreate it.
Yeah,
shame, it would be quite useful :)

> Jan is working on removing that limitation but I would not suggest holding
> your breath.

I'll try and see what I can find for myself... dig dig dig

> > The next step would be that I'd like to add a 3d server and I have to do it over
> > again, and it gets painful to move gigs data around and to recreate all the volumes
> > losing all the acls and stuff.
> > Any ideas how to get around this?
>
> One and very welcome solution would be if you hack together a script
> that would collect acl's from a Coda subtree, pack them together with the
> files, say in a tar archive, and be able to unpack and restore the
> files and the acls of course. The best if it would work with piped
> archives, too.
>
> It should not be too hard, just nobody seems to have taken on this task.

That sounds like a hack, but when the data is constantly in use by a rt app which is
really important the job gets tougher..

Jan, can I get a few pointers about this ? like what exactly limits it (few words)
Since it's really urgent I'd try to find a solution rather than hacking a shell script to
do the job..

Thanks for the input! Much appreciated.

cheers