Coda File System

Re: nfsnobod permissions

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 12:37:37 -0400
On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 12:21:10PM -0400, UpFront Technology wrote:
> 	I am still in the process of setting up my new file system with
> 	CODA to support a fail over environment fro mail and web
> 	services.
>
> 	However, I need the permissions of the directory to stay
> 	constant.  If I do a chmod -R evans.safeweb to a directory:
>
> 1-the permissions don't replicate to the other clients
> 2-if I re-start venus, the permissions change back to evans.nfsnobod.

Coda doesn't have groups. What you see is simply the Linux-kernel VFS
which happens to act as a write-through cache and will show whatever the
'cached' inode was changed to with chown or chgrp until it is purged
from the kernel and refetched from venus.

UNIX owner and group information really doesn't say do anything useful in
Coda. The group and other modebits are also useless.

Only the 'user' part of the modebits has some effect in that it is used
to refine the protection provided by the directory ACLs. So if your
user-id has read/write access according to the directory ACL and the
user modebits only allow read access, your processes are not allowed to
write to the file.