Coda File System

Re: Server only handling one transaction at a time?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 12:48:49 -0400
On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 07:17:05PM +0200, Peter Sch?ller wrote:
> > There are volume wide RW locks. When a client is connected over a modem
> > we use trickle reintegration which doesn't (shouldn't) lock down the
> > volume as the file is sent to the server in small fragments and the
> > actual 'commit' is only performed once the complete file is already
> > present on the server.
>
> Ah. Is there a way tro control/monitor this behavior? (As in this test
> case it was hogging the server for an extended period of time.)

Not that I know of. I prefer to work with large client caches, so we
only need to fetch updated data during a hoard walk. And with writeback
caching (write-disconnected) so we push updates to the server in the
background.

I guess this makes me not really notice when a volume happens to have an
exclusive write-lock. All writes happen in the background and most
changes are picked up by the hoard daemon.