Coda File System

Re: Coda+NFS

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 16:46:24 +0200 (MEST)
Hello Dick,

> We have tested remote boot extensively, and it works wonderfully.

What you mean by "remote boot" is evidently "root filesystem on NFS",
just to be sure we are talking about the same thing.

Sure, it can work, if you accept all the insecurities implied by that
setup, I mean that all file I/O traffic is
 - sniffable
 - forgeable
that may be no problem if you trust more or less _all_ on your network.

> Has any of you had any experience with loading Coda at startup? Because

If you mean root filesystem on Coda, then no (well, mostly "no way")

If you mean starting Venus at system startup, I guess most of systems with
Coda do it :-)

> We are trying to solve single point of failures because of the fact that
> we want to boot from the network.... If you use remote boot, nothing
> goes anymore if the server is down, so as we are planning to accommodate

Again, you mean "root on NFS", don't you?

> some 140 clients the servers reliability should be incredibly high. So:

We have several hundred NFS-clients that stop working if one NFS server
goes down (no root on NFS, just plain software and user files placed on
NFS).
It is considered acceptable given investments in the server computer with
all the hardware redundant except the system bus, and the "instant"
on-site service if something breaks.

Not that I like it, but it works.

> > If you mean Coda over NFS, then just forget it.
>
> I love it, when you get a clear answer, even when it is not really what
> I was hoping for ;-)

You are welcome. :-)

Regards,
--