Coda File System

Re: Coda+NFS

From: Dick Kniep <D.J.Kniep_at_chello.nl>
Date: 09 Jul 2003 18:06:40 +0200
On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 16:46, Ivan Popov wrote:

Hi Ivan

> What you mean by "remote boot" is evidently "root filesystem on NFS",
> just to be sure we are talking about the same thing.

Yep, that's what I mean...

> Sure, it can work, if you accept all the insecurities implied by that
> setup, I mean that all file I/O traffic is
>  - sniffable
>  - forgeable
> that may be no problem if you trust more or less _all_ on your network.

You're right, and this _could_ be a problem...

> > Has any of you had any experience with loading Coda at startup? Because
>
> If you mean root filesystem on Coda, then no (well, mostly "no way")

No way?

Suppose I make an initrd with Venus define root on a Ramdisk (thru
initrd) and start Venus to mount the root from there, surely that could
work or am I forgetting something?

> Again, you mean "root on NFS", don't you?

Again YEP, or root on Coda as described above... ;-)

> > some 140 clients the servers reliability should be incredibly high. So:
>
> We have several hundred NFS-clients that stop working if one NFS server
> goes down (no root on NFS, just plain software and user files placed on
> NFS).
> It is considered acceptable given investments in the server computer with
> all the hardware redundant except the system bus, and the "instant"
> on-site service if something breaks.

I hope you're right.

Regards,
Dick