Coda File System

Re: RVM_ENOT_MAPPED with 1GB RVM at startup

From: Tim Hasson <tim_at_aidasystems.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:21:04 -0700
Quoting Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>:

> On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 06:44:58AM -0700, Tim Hasson wrote:
> > I created a 1GB RVM earlier and had to play around with rdsinit to fit it
> > by reducing the heapsize. However, if I turn mapprivate to 1 in
> > server.conf file and restart the server, tailing /vice/srv/SrvLog shows
> > the error:
> > RVM_ENOT_MAPPED
> > What do I have to do in this case to get RVM mapped?
>
> Not sure, I know that linux only allows mmap from files and not raw
> partitions.

Well, in this case I am running FreeBSD. Does anyone have 1GB RVM mmaped under
freebsd?

> If 50k files and 5k directories use about 40MB of RVM, then 1GB should
> be able to hold the metadata for 1.2 million files and 125K directories.

coda1# cat vicetab
coda1   /vicepa   ftree   width=256,depth=3

that was set by the vice-setup script (towards the end of it). It asked me for
the max num of files to store or something like that, and the highest option
available was 16M files (256^3 ~= 16M)

Ok, so if I really wanted to store 16 million files, that would be 16,000,000
* 500 = 7.5GB (plus 3000b * num.of.dirs)

Is that even possible? I understand I cannot make a RVM partition larger than
~ 1.7GB, so what if I made a RVM file 10GB large. Would that be pushing it
beyond the point of failure?

Thanks for your help,
Tim