Coda File System

Re: Coda 6 Update report

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:27:41 -0400
On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 10:04:52PM +0200, Steffen Neumann wrote:
> Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu> writes:
> > New mountpoint
> > --------------
> >
> >     /coda-realms/			- normal 6.0 root
> >     /coda -> /coda-realms/local.realm	- a symlink for our current realm
> >
> >     (New programs/scripts should be modified to use /coda-realms/local.realm)
> >
> >     required changes:
> >     - There should be no changes necessary in the venus code.
> >     - codaconfedit venus.conf mountpoint /coda-realms
> >     - mkdir /coda-realms ; restart venus
> >     - rmdir /coda ; ln -s /coda/local.realm /coda

This ofcourse has to be, ln -s /coda-realms/local.realm /coda

> /realms is better if you use <tab> frequently :-)
> This seems to be the way we will go.

Now the interesting question is, should everyone go this way so that we
can keep our 'global naming scheme' the same. There are probably not too
many realms users yet, and for some reason I consider it important that
everyone uses the same namespace.

I already migrated everything to the /coda/coda.cs.cmu.edu/ scheme, and
it will mean that I have to change a lot of pathnames all over again, sigh.

At some point the symlink can become obsolete and only the new /realms
mountpoint remains. On the other hand, I would be a bit sad the day we
actually lose '/coda'.