Coda File System

Re: Coda 6 Update report

From: Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>
Date: 29 Jul 2003 17:46:28 -0400
  Now the interesting question is, should everyone go this way so that we
  can keep our 'global naming scheme' the same. There are probably not too
  many realms users yet, and for some reason I consider it important that
  everyone uses the same namespace.

Well, I have converted over to realms, and would rather have /coda
rather than /coda-realms.  I suppose if the name change were a local
option for those who have compiled-in/hardcoded paths, that would help
them out without affecting others.

The missing piece is a transition strategy from coda-realms back to
coda.  Unfortunately the best I can think of is a bit messy.

After having /coda-realms/myrealm/foo, and /coda symlinked to
/coda-realms/myrealm, one rebuilds software for /coda-realms/myrealm.
When this all done, put coda back in /coda, and make /coda-realms a
symlink to /coda.

Now, rebuild software as /coda/myrealm.

Optional: think about how to have a place where the software lives
(e.g. /usr/mysite), and configure that way, but link /usr/mysite to
/cod/myrealm/software/@arch@/@sys@/mysite, or some such.
I'd want to do this anyway - it gives me a way to just copy the bits
to local disk as a fallback if coda gets flaky on me.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>