Coda File System

Re: Venus does not start

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 13:44:05 -0400
On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 12:43:01PM +0200, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
> If I start Venus on the commandline of teh Coda server I get the
> following output:
> 12:34:18 Venus starting...
> 12:34:18 CHILD: mount system call failed. Killing parent.

The child process should have logged the reason for the failure to
/usr/coda/etc/console.

Typically this happens because the Coda client has been unable to get
the attributes of the object that should be mounted at /coda.

With a 5.3.20 client a lot has to happen before the mount can succeed.
It has to contact a server configured as 'rootserver', then it has to
send a GetRootVolume RPC that returns the name of the root volume. Then
it queries the same root servers for the location information of that
volume. Finally it connects to the server holding that volume and gets
the attributes for the object.

At every step something can go wrong. Some things you can try is 'ping
`hostname`', 'getvolinfo `cat /vice/db/ROOTVOLUME`', and tcpdump.