Coda File System

Re: build problems with debian/rules

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:10:39 -0400
On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 12:01:31PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> The top-level configure script is not in CVS/Entries, but debian/rules
> fails to update configure from configure.in.
>
> I think probably the build target in debian/rules should run bootstrap.sh.

Ehh, debian/rules doesn't build from CVS, it is set up to build from the
distributed tarball. And if you then run bootstrap.sh it creates a
mostly useless diff against the original, or the 'pristine' debian
sources wouldn't be identical to the released version.

It also opens the door for local breakage depending on the versions of
automake/autoconf/libtool installed on your system.

For lwp/rpc2/rvm the tarballs are created with,

    cvs co foo ; cd foo ; ./bootstrap.sh
    ./configure --prefix=/usr
    make ; make dist

For coda the tarball is created with,

    cvs co coda ; cd coda ; ./bootstrap.sh
    cd ..
    mv coda coda-version
    tar -czf coda-version.tar.gz coda-version

I'm using a set of simple dist-prep and dist-build scripts here to do
most of the wrapping up and building the final tarball on several
machines before release.