Coda File System

Users and authentication

From: Ian Smith <ian_at_saltstonemedia.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 15:46:28 +0100

I'm still trying to create and mount a volume, and am confused horribly
by the docs, particularly the "conventions" regarding volume names.

At various points (eg. chapter 9 of the admin guide) I see names like
u.hbovik (which somehow gets mapped to /coda/usr/hbovik - is this
relation hardcoded into coda somehow?).  If this is the case can I only
create subdirs called user, system and project?  In the HOWTO there is
another example using coda:root as a volume name - is the ":"
significant here.

Also, I understood that the root volume was mounted automatically, so
why would I want to do it manually?  How can I verify whether the root
volume (called codaroot in my case) is successfully mounted?

The other area is authentication - during vice-setup, I set the (unix)
user knoppix, UID 1000, to be the admin account.  Is the unix account
valid, or do I need to duplicate it in the coda system?

Since knoppix seemingly cannot create files under /coda, I tried using
pdbtool:

root_at_kryten:~# pdbtool
pdbtool> nui knoppix 1000
ID alread used by "knoppix".
pdbtool> quit
root_at_kryten:~# au -h kryten.localdomain nu
Your Vice name: knoppix
Your password:
RPC2_Bind() --> RPC2_NOTAUTHENTICATED (F)

My attempt to use clog also failed:

26 $ clog -host kryten.localdomain knoppix
username: knoppix_at_testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu
Password:
Invalid login (RPC2_NOTAUTHENTICATED (F)).

BTW auth2 is running:

root       290  0.0  0.3  1792  868 ?        S    14:45   0:00 auth2

Sorry to be such a pain, but the docs just don't seem to relate to my
experience at all!

- --
Ian Smith

Saltstone Media Limited